Monday, August 1, 2011

The Letter C, a Trumpet, a Whale, and a Comic Panel

 Here is a little collection of "C" sketches from the project Rico and I are doing (Rico is rockin' it, BTW).  I think I'm finally finding a comfortable and freeing way to sketch characters loosely based on shapes.  Mmm, it feels good.  Two of the sketches are based on one of my roommates (a bulldog).  He is an interesting character.  Shelly and Angel took him hiking at Runyun Canyon today.  Imagine two girls in flipflops dragging a lazy bulldog up a mountain.  A little kid pointed out, "Daddy, look at that weird dog!"  Hurley (said bulldog, named after Hurley from LOST) was too grumpy to even drink his water.  Or perhaps too busy panting.

Aaaaand, here's my final for the PaperWings Podcast contest.  Click here to vote (click on the FACEBOOK "like" button in the scrolly box in the left side of the page).  If I get the most votes in my category, I will win a new Wacom tablet.  And tablets are wonderful!

Last but not least, here's some test panels for a graphic novel I'm working on.  I'm going with the second panel from the left.  There differences here are quite subtle, but I'm trying to find the most efficient style to effectively tell the story.  I finally got my library card for the Glendale Library, so the first day I checked out about 15+ comic books and just started studying (I've never really had much more than an appreciation for graphic novels.  I've read Sandman, Watchman, a few mangas, a few Fables...).  So many styles rely on heavy inking.  In my head I was thinking of a more painterly and rendered feel, but that would end up taking forever.  So I'm going to dive into the art of inking and work on creating a painterly color pallet.  So much to learn!

4 comments:

  1. 1) Your C's are amazing! These are definitely my favorite of yours so far! I seriosuly love them all. Very flowy, I like it.

    2) AWESOME! It really is very stunning. How do you do your textures? And, how do you apply your texture images? The trumpet, hat, whale and birds all capture my heart.

    3) The one you said u were going with is definitely the best. It's also the most "Margaret". Although I would suggest using a custom type, if anything hand writing it with a "Margaret" style. The chosen type above kind of takes away from the beautiful painterly/"Margaret" feeling haha

    "Margaret" "Margaret" "Margaret" "Margaret" "Margaret" "Margaret" "Margaret" "Margaret" "Margaret" "Margaret" "Margaret" "Margaret"
    Hahahahaha =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHA best comment ever! Type is a totally new beast to me, and I was thinking about using my own handwriting since I consider it to complement my drawing style somewhat, but it would take foooorever to hand type the whole book! And we want it to be very readable. It's also difficult to find a comic font (and I really do want to go with a 'comic' font, none of this serif stuff) that is totally royalty-free and comes in bold and italics. This font is Komika. I'm going to be assembling the type and word bubbles together in InDesign, so if I have time after everything is finished, perhaps I'll go back and play with different font styles.

    To get the texture, it's mostly just using textured brushes instead of the using the default round brush all the time! I realize that if I'm truly going for a painterly feel, my edges should be relevant... soft when it recedes, hard in light, yadda yadda. Painting with textured brushes is helping me create a more organic feel. I also had one layer of a textured overlay, but it was pretty faint. I think it was some paper grunge texture from google images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also used some burn and dodge, especially on his coat. Dodging exaggerates texture differences already in place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret!! I've been meaning to tell you how much I've enjoyed looking through your work (your whale/marching trumpet boy illustration and lion castings are my favorite :) can't wait to see what else you've been working on!

    ReplyDelete